Stress Calming & Mind Boosting
We all know what stress feels like. When a stressful event happens there is a lot that gets triggered inside very quickly. Your brain immediately signals you with feelings of overwhelm, worry, anger, nervousness, agitation, fear, or the inability to focus. While simultaneously, the body can move rapidly into what are known as “adaptive responses”. These natural responses impact the nervous system, endocrine system, cardiovascular system, and immune system to prepare the body for the perceived threat. The good news is, when the threat has passed hormone levels are biologically designed to return to normal.
What the body cannot do is remain in the “stress response” over an extended period of time without causing subsequent health problems. When an experience of stress continues well beyond the initial cause of the stress, the body’s ability to return to a state of balance becomes impaired. This persistent condition is called “chronic stress”—and chronic stress wreaks havoc on our mind and body.
According to WebMD, stress-related health problems affect 43% of all adults and prompt 75-90% of all doctor visits. “Too much stress can negatively impact mood, sleep, cognitive function, energy, libido, tension, blood pressure, blood sugar, and immunity, and eventually cause serious damage to cardiovascular, reproductive, and mental health.”
Stress can be physical and/or psychological. But whatever the cause, if the stress event exceeds your ability to adapt, a strong nervous system and hormone response will begin creating a burden on cellular systems throughout the body, which will most immediately and noticeably be linked to changes in the brain—a fact supported by imaging studies that show structural changes in the brain of individuals suffering from various types of stress-related disorders and often seen in depressed patients.
A key component of self-care is managing sleep, stress, and mood—and Calm & Clever helps with all three.
Calm & Clever was formulated by nutritional scientist, Curt Hendrix, to help calm and re-balance your body responses to stress and improve cognitive performance, memory, and overall healthy brain function. The goal is to improve your quality of life and simultaneously help you avoid a whole host of unwanted health concerns that can emerge down the road.
As a complete formula, Calm & Clever …
- Helps reduce the psychological and physical impacts of stress
- Calms occasional anxiety and promotes a positive mind
- Helps reduce cortisol levels, the primary stress response hormone
- Increases ability to think more clearly
- Allows for quicker brain response time
- Supports increased memory of facts and word recall
- Supports the ability to perform challenging tasks even while subjected to stress
- Enhances cognitive function and brain health
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Boosts mental alertness and focus throughout the day, while also improving both the quantity and quality of sleep
Calm & Clever contains Ashwagandha and Bacopa—TWO POWERFUL ADAPTOGENS. Unlike other medicinal plants, adaptogens are highly revered for the ability help the body adapt to multiple kinds of stress. Very few plants are categorized as an adaptogen because the plant must also stand up to other criteria, such as: it must be harmless to the human body and it must have the broad-spectrum ability to bring independent body systems back into balance.
Calm & Clever — Overview of Benefits
Ashwagandha Standardized Extract (KSM-66, 5% withanolides) is a powerful adaptogen that is also known in Ayurvedic Traditional Medicine as a “rasayana” or “life extender”. Traditionally Ashwagandha has been used for enhanced mental function, increased stamina and endurance, and to promote sleep when needed. Scientific research supports a growing list of ashwagandha health benefits when 300mgs are taken twice a day, as is offered in the daily serving of Calm & Clever:
- Promotes resilience to stress and occasional anxiety
- Helps body cope with physical and psychological stressors
- Minimizes the negative effects of stress on the body
- Improves brain function in terms of memory, focus, information processing speed, etc.
- Increases the ability to manage one’s own behavior to achieve a planned goal
- Promotes functional mental health
- Supports positive mood
- Enhances sexual health and vitality
- Enhances athletic performance and energy
- Improves a healthy immunity
- and is an easy and effective way to improve overall health and quality of life throughout the aging process
Also, extremely important to the health of all body systems, is sleep.
“A new study corroborates the use of Ashwagandha root extract as a first-class adaptogen that helps promote restful sleep and reduce anxiety,” says ethnobotanist, Medicine Hunter Christopher Kilham, who is the Ashwagandha expert. “We know that Americans are not getting enough sleep and Ashwagandha offers a simple, safe and natural way to achieve deep sleep for badly needed rest and repair, without drowsiness or negative effects. You simply do not need to resort to potentially harmful or addictive drugs to achieve healthy sleep.”
Bacopa Monnieri Extract (50% bacosides) is an adaptogen that has been used in Ayurvedic traditional medicine for centuries for a variety of health-related purposes, including improving memory and reducing occasional anxiety. Bacopa health benefits are backed by innumerable scientific studies:
- Helps alter the activity of certain enzymes involved in the stress response, suggesting that Bacopa could allow the brain to be prepared to cope under stress
- Boosts brain function and alleviates occasional anxiety and stress
- Promotes positive cognitive effects findings include mood, as well as a reduction in cortisol levels
- Is commonly used as a nootropic
- Improves memory retention
- In a 2016 study of 60 college students, researchers found that six weeks of Bacopa (300mg per day, as found in Calm & Clever) led to improvements in tests relating to cognitive function
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) There is a long list of health benefits that make Vitamin C crucial to human life. Vitamin C deficiency is associated with stress-related diseases; it directly allows the body to quickly clear out cortisol, a primary stress hormone that increases sugars in the bloodstream. Vitamin C is also a vital antioxidant molecule in the brain, it modulates neurotransmitter systems in the brain, and is critical to cognitive function. Generally, Vitamin C has an important role in almost everything going on in the brain.
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate) is important for normal brain development and for keeping the nervous system and immune system healthy. Vitamin B6 helps create neurotransmitters, is needed for the brain to produce serotonin, and generally necessary for optimum brain health.
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium-Pantothenate) is an essential trace element that plays key roles in a myriad of biological processes necessary for the synthesis of complex fatty-acyl chains of myelin and the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and it is a precursor of coenzyme A, which is required for energy, normal brain function, and fat metabolism.
Huperzine A can reduce oxidative stress in the brain, promote memory and learning enhancement, and support with age-related memory impairment. Huperzine A is a natural compound found in Chinese club moss Huperzia serrata, and is supported by worldwide studies pertaining to learning and memory, protecting acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that acts as a messenger molecule in the brain, and for short-term “brain boost” use, such as preparing for a meeting or test, as well as more long-term needs having to do with mild aging memory loss.
Sage Extract (Salvia officinalis) comes from the Latin word meaning “to heal”. Sage is a popular medicinal plant that is grown and used around the world for multiple uses. This species contains over 160 distinct polyphenols, which are plant-based antioxidant chemical compounds that buffer the brains defense system, and there are other constituents found in sage that have been scientifically studied to improve brain function and memory in low doses, and generally enhance cognitive activity. In higher doses, Sage is also shown to elevate one’s mood, increase alertness and focus, and promote calmness and contentedness.
As we’ve said, our sole interest at Akeso Health Sciences is to provide you with effective drug-free options to enhance health and well-being well into old age—and we think Calm & Clever is an excellent place to begin.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.